2012-03-23

Guilt and a Deep Fryer

Our son bought us a deep fryer for Christmas, which was a very nice gift, but let's be honest here - it was really for his dad.  I mean, after 20+ years of wheedling and persuading on Dan's part, the one and only reason why we didn't already have a deep fryer was because I refused to have one in the house.  For health reasons.

Okay, to be honest, I may be the same person who makes a mean browned butter sauce for cheese ravioli and have been known (on warranted occasions) to devour an entire container of chip dip.  But still.  I put my foot down.  No deep fryer.

So my son, in a blatant act of Male Comradery, (and showing a sly and devious side which I never even knew existed) gave "us" a deep fryer as a Christmas gift.  Mm-hmm.

Now, I will admit that I've used the deep fryer.  I mean . . . it was a gift from my son!  Over the years, I've worn a macaroni necklace, a sweatshirt with a kitten appliqué on the front, and a plastic ring from a bubble gum machine - all because they were gifts from my son.  So of course I've used the deep fryer!

After some initial trepidation and a few experiments, tonight I've decided to go all out.  Hey, it's Friday and I figured, what the heck,  I'm up for some pub grub.   Now, I don't know exactly what pub grub might mean in your neck of the woods, but around here, it means chicken wings, sweet potato fries, onion rings, and (just to ease my guilt) crudités and dip.  And beer.  Of course.



So. . . if I don't give myself a coronary, I'll be back here on Monday.
Happy weekend, everyone!


P.S. What's your favourite pub grub?

9 comments:

  1. oh YES - you've covered all the bases. add in some zuchinni sticks (more veggies - yay!) upgrade to a pitcher of beer, because you know we are Canadian and there is a reputation to uphold.--- and I am totally feeling TGIF at your house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zuchinni sticks! How could I have forgot zuchinni sticks?!

      Delete
  2. Jalapeno poppers, or as some of the places call them, armadillo eggs. Reeeeally good. But the onion rings and sweet potato fries sound good, too. I don't have (don't want) a deep fryer, either. If I had one, I'd be using it for fried chicken and big ol' fried shrimp and of course, onion rings. All those yummy things I can do without, damn it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fried chicken was one of the first things I tried in the deep fryer, that and coconut shrimp - now, that was yummy!

      Delete
  3. Ah the deep fryer, how do I love thee? stuffed mushrooms, calamari, fish n chips, home made doughnuts.... and beer of course beer to wash it all down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. pub grub is always good, friday or any other day.
    as a son, i have given some lame gifts myself. wearing a macaroni necklace says a lot about devoted motherhood:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What time is dinner, just in case I happen to be in the neighborhood?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. King Eddie's may be in trouble... I know of another pub in town now, where I can get pub grub and I probably can drink as much as I want...

    ReplyDelete
  7. MMMMM! That looks great!
    Deep friers are dangerous- but OH SO GOOD!

    Your son figured out a great work around.
    Onion rings are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete